How I Came to be Involved with North Korean Human ÀμâÇϱâ
À̸§ NKnet
2012-01-26 16:08:27  |  Á¶È¸ 6920
Æ®À§ÅÍ ÆäÀ̽ººÏ ¹ÌÅõµ¥ÀÌ ¿äÁò

How I Came to be Involved with North Korean Human Rights

When I say I am involved with North Korean human rights, Koreans are curious how I, an American, got started.  I first traveled to Korea for a two-week vacation in 2004 and was fascinated by what I saw and also by the sound of the Korean language.  After returning home, I started taking Korean classes in DC and also read the online English versions of the Korean newspapers.  When you read articles about Korea, inevitably many of them are about North Korea.  The many articles about negotiations, nuclear issues, etc., were pretty boring, but the ones about the actual people and living conditions in North Korea jumped out at me. 

I don¡¯t know exactly why, but the more I read about the plight of the North Korean people the more I wanted to know.  It sucked me in, I couldn¡¯t ignore it.  I think it¡¯s because as an American, freedom is one of the things I value most.  Yet here is a people who have virtually no freedom -- they are virtually slaves to the government, which rules through fear, violence, and propaganda.  That fact offends me deeply.  Also, in English class as a middle school student I read parts of Anne Frank¡¯s diary, which was taught by a German American teacher who made sure we learned about the Holocaust and its lessons.  He and many others in our society stressed ¡°Never again.¡±  But as I¡¯ve learned more about world history and North Korea and kept up with current events, I have sadly realized that that phrase falls short and ultimately could even be seen as misleading.  While the phrase¡¯s intent is noble, reality is more like ¡°Again and again.¡±  Since the phrase took root in Western culture in response to the Holocaust, in fact many regimes have terrorized their own people (Pol Pot in Cambodia, Mao in China, the Kims in North Korea, Middle Eastern dictators, Rwanda, Darfur¡¦).  This trend will not stop -- every generation must anticipate oppressive governments and oppose them wherever they spring up. 

Koreans often ask me, ¡°Why North Korea?¡± when there are so many other problems in the world.  Admittedly, supporting the North Korean people¡¯s right to liberty is the not the only significant task in the world today, but it is the one I know of and therefore the one I must fight.  (On a related note, NKnet¡¯s president recently called the democratization of North Korea an unavoidable task of our time - http://en.nknet.org/writings/nk-vision/no31/democratization-north-korea-unavoidable-task/.) 

So what to do, then?  In my next column I will talk a little bit about my volunteer activism and in more detail about what I do as NKnet¡¯s English webmaster. 

¾î¶»°Ô ³»°¡ ºÏÇÑ Àαǿ¡ °ü½ÉÀ» °®°Ô µÆ´Â°¡

¿Ü±¹ÀÎÀÎ ³»°¡ ºÏÇÑÀαǿ¿¡ Âü¿©ÇÑ´Ù°í ÇÏ¸é »ç¶÷µéÀÌ ¾î¶»°Ô °ü½ÉÀ» °®°Ô µÆ´À³Ä´Â Áú¹®À» ÀÚÁÖ ÇÑ´Ù.  2004³â º½¿¡ Çѱ¹¿¡ óÀ½À¸·Î 2ÁÖµ¿¾È ¿Í¼­ »õ·Î¿î ´À³¦°ú °æÇèÀ» ¸¹ÀÌ ¾ò°í Çѱ¹¾îÀÇ ¼Ò¸®¸¦ óÀ½À¸·Î µé¾ú´Âµ¥ ³Ê¹« ÁÁ¾Ò´Ù.  ¹Ì±¹ ¿ö½ÌÅÏ µð½Ã¿¡ µ¹¾Æ°¡¼­ Çѱ¹¾î¸¦ ¹è¿ì±â ½ÃÀÛÇϸ鼭 ¿Â¶óÀÎ Çѱ¹ ½Å¹®ÀÇ ¿µ¹® ±â»ç¸¦ Àоú´Ù.  Çѱ¹¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ±ÛÀ» ÀÐÀ¸¸é ºÏÇÑ¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ±Ûµµ ¸¹ÀÌ ³ª¿Â´Ù.  ÇÙ ¹®Á¦, 6ÀÚ È¸´ã, µî¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ±â»ç´Â ´ëºÎºÐ Áö·çÇÑ ÆíÀ̾úÁö¸¸ ºÏÇÑÀÇ Áֹΰú ÇöÀç ½ÇÁ¦ »ýÈ°¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ±ÛµéÀº ³»°Ô´Â Å« Ãæ°ÝÀ̾ú´Ù. 

¿ØÁö Àß ¸ð¸£°ÚÁö¸¸ ºÏÇÑ ÁÖ¹ÎÀÇ »óŸ¦ ¾Ë ¼ö·Ï ´õ ¾Ë°í ½Í¾ú´Ù.  ºÏÇÑÁÖ¹ÎÀÇ ²ûÂïÇÑ ½Ç»ó¿¡ ²ø·È°í ¶Ç ¿Ü¸é ÇÒ ¼ö ¾ø¾ú´Ù.  ¾Æ¸¶µµ ÀÚÀ¯¸¦ Á¦ÀÏ ¼ÒÁßÈ÷ ¿©±â±â ¶§¹®ÀÏ °ÍÀÌ´Ù.  ±×·¯³ª ºÏÇÑ ÁֹεéÀº ÀÚÀ¯°¡ °ÅÀÇ ¾ø°í °øÆ÷, Æø·Â, ¼±ÀüÀ¸·Î ´Ù½º¸®´Â Á¤ºÎÀÇ ³ë¿¹µé °°´Ù.  ±× »ç½Ç¿¡ ±íÀÌ ºÐ°³ÇÑ´Ù.  ±×¸®°í ÁßÇж§ ¿µ¾î ¼ö¾÷¿¡¼­ ¾È³× ÇÁ¶ûÅ©ÀÇ Àϱ⸦ ÀÐ°í ¿ì¸® µ¶ÀÏ°è ¹Ì±¹ÀÎ ¼±»ý´Ô²²¼­ Ȧ·ÎÄÚ½ºÆ®¿Í ±× ±³ÈÆ¿¡ ´ëÇؼ­ °¡¸£ÃÄÁֽŠ°ÍÀÌ »ý°¢³µ´Ù.  ±× ¼±»ý´ÔÀ» Æ÷ÇÔÇÏ¿© ¼­¾ç »çȸ »ç¶÷µéÀº ¡°³×¹ö ¾î°ÔÀÎ(Never again)¡±¸¦ °­Á¶Çß´Ù.  ±×·±µ¥ ºÏÇÑ°ú ¼¼°è»ç, ½Ã»ç¹®Á¦ µîÀ» ´õ ¹è¿ü´õ´Ï, ±× Ç¥ÇöÀº Á» ºÎÁ·ÇÏ°í »ç¶÷ÀÌ ¿ÀÇØÇϱ⠽¬¿î ÆíÀ̶ó´Â °ÍÀ» ±ú´Ý°Ô µÇ¾ú´Ù.  ³×¹ö ¾î°ÔÀÎÀÇ Àǵµ´Â °í°áÇÏÁö¸¸ »ç½ÇÀº ¡°¾î°ÔÀξصå¾î°ÔÀÎ(Again and again)¡±ÀÌ ´õ ÀûÇÕÇÏ´Ù.  Ȧ·ÎÄÚ½ºÆ®¿¡ ´ëÀÀÇÏ¿© ³×¹ö ¾î°ÔÀÎÀ̶ó´Â Ç¥ÇöÀÌ ÆìÁø ÈÄ¿¡, ÀÚ±â ÁֹεéÀ» °øÆ÷¿¡ ¶³°Ô ÇÏ°í °­ÇÏ°Ô Åº¾ÐÇÏ´Â ±×·± Á¤±ÇµéÀÌ »ó´çÈ÷ ¸¹¾Ò´Ù.  įº¸µð¾ÆÀÇ Æú Æ÷Æ®, Áß±¹ÀÇ ¸¶¿À¼µÕ, ºÏÇÑÀÇ ±è¾¾Á¤±Ç, Áßµ¿ µ¶Àçµé, ¸£¿Ï´Ù, ´Ù¸£Çª¸£, µîÀÌ ±× ¿¹¶ó°í ÇÒ ¼ö ÀÖ´Ù.  ÀÌ·¯ÇÑ °æÇâÀº ³¡ÀÌ ¾øÀ» °ÍÀÌ´Ù.  ¾ÕÀ¸·Îµµ °è¼Ó ÀÖÀ» °ÍÀÌ´Ù.  µû¶ó¼­ ¸ðµç ¼¼´ëµé¸¶´Ù ÀÚÀ¯¸¦ º¸È£ÇÏ·Á°í ź¾ÐÇÏ´Â Á¤ºÎ¸¦ ¿¹»óÇÏ°í ¹Ý´ëÇØ¾ß ÇÑ´Ù.

ÀÌ ¼¼»ó¿¡¼­ ¿©·¯ °¡Áö Å« ¹®Á¦ Àִµ¥ Çѱ¹ »ç¶÷µéÀÌ Àú¿¡°Ô ¡°´Ù¸¥ ³ª¶óº¸´Ù ¿Ö ºÏÇÑ¿¡ °ü½ÉÀÌ Àֳİí?¡± °¡²û ¹°¾îº»´Ù.  ÀÌ ¼¼»ó¿¡¼­ ºÏÇÑ ÁÖ¹ÎÀÇ ÀÚÀ¯¿Í ±Ç¸®»Ó¸¸ À̴϶ó ¼ö¾øÀÌ ¸¹Àº ¹®Á¦µéÀÌ ÀÖ´Ù´Â °ÍÀ» ÀÎÁ¤ÇÏÁö¸¸ ³ª´Â ºÏÇѹ®Á¦¸¦ ´õ Àß ¾Ë±â ¶§¹®¿¡ ±×°ÍÀ» À§Çؼ­ ½Î¿ö¾ß ÇÑ´Ù. 

±×·³ ÇÒÀÏÀÌ ¹º°¡?  µÎ¹ø° Ä®·³¿¡¼­ Á¦ ºÏÇÑÀ뱂 ÀÚ¿øºÀ»ç Çൿ°ú Á¦ ºÏÇѹÎÁÖÈ­³×Æ®¿öÅ©ÀÇ ¿µ¹® À¥¸¶½ºÅÍ ¿ªÇÒ¿¡ ´ëÇؼ­ ¾µ °ÍÀÌ´Ù. 

13 ºÏÇÑ ÀαÇ, '¿øÄ¢'À» °®°í µ¹ÆÄÇ϶ó  nknet 07-04-16 5069
12 ñé "'°æÁ¦¹ßÀü' '±¹¹Î»ýÈ° Çâ»ó' ºÏÁß°£ °øµ¿°úÁ¦"  NKnet 11-07-11 4192
11 [´í Ä®·³] Spreading NKnet¡¯s NKHR Message to an Inter  NKnet 12-03-02 8109
10 [½Ã·Ð] Áß±¹ Áö½ÄÀÎÀÇ ¸¶À½ ¿òÁ÷ÀÎ 'Å»ºÏÀÚ ºÏ¼Û ¹Ý´ë'  NKnet 12-03-07 9656
9 ±èÁ¤Àº ½Ã´ëµµ '±Ç·Â Àý´ëµ¶Á¡'ÀÌ °¡´ÉÇÑ°¡?  NKnet 12-04-23 9922
8 ÝÁ COI ź»ýÀº ±èÁ¤Àº Á¤±Ç¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ¾öÁßÇÑ °æ°í  °ü¸®ÀÚ 13-03-22 17813
7 ÀÓÁ¾¼® ÀÇ¿øÀº ÅëÀϿܱ³Åë»óÀ§¿øȸ À§¿øÁ÷À» »çÅðÇ϶ó!  nknet 07-04-16 7114
6 ºÏÇѹÎÁÖÈ­´Â °Å½º¸¦ ¼ö ¾ø´Â ½Ã´ëÀû °úÁ¦  NKnet 12-01-17 11734
5 ±èÁ¤Àº üÁ¦ÀÇ ¹Ì·¡¿Í Çѹݵµ ¿î¸í¿¡ ºÎÃÄ  NKnet 12-01-25 11351
4 How I Came to be Involved with North Korean Human  NKnet 12-01-26 6920
3 ºÏÇÑÀ뱂 °³¼±À» À§ÇÑ ±¹Á¦Çù·Â¹æ¾È  NKnet 12-06-15 11935
2 Á¦ÇÑÀû °³Çõ°ú ºÒ¾ÈÁ¤ÇÑ ±Ç·Â Àå¾Ç, ´ëÇü µµ¹ßÀÇ ±èÁ¤Àº 1³â  NKnet 12-12-17 8405